36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cruz's picture

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 15:14

...was Scare Yourself Smiley-sad

I might be stepping on a lot of toes writing this, but I've been a great fan of D-A-D and a very active user of this discussion board up until Soft Dogs came out.

Scare Yourself is it for me. I needed something spectacular to save everything that the horrible record Soft Dogs spoiled. Unfortunately, the boys decided to sell out completely.

I know D-A-D needed money after the Wigwam catastrophy, and that the fans mostly complained that Soft Dogs was too soft.
However, I doubt that Scare Yourself was what most long time fans were missing. In my oppinion, D-A-D made a record with hard rock just to please the fans. There's nothing wrong with fanpleasing, but you should never let your fans decide what kind of music you should play.

Scare Yourself has 2-3 of the classic D-A-D songs that stays in your head for years. Again, it's a step up from Soft Dogs (that had none), but it's far, far away from the standards of EG and everything before that. And I think we can blame it on the fact, that nobody in D-A-D really gave a fuck about the music on this one, except that it had to be hard rock in order to sell more records.

Therefore this will be the last D-A-D record I ever buy or put on my wishlist. It's a sad way to depart from my year long favorite band.

Fuck you for ruining all your momentum D-A-D.

J.

BtW: I'm sure you've heard this many times before. Sorry, but I needed to express the frustration.
Happy new year.

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 15:21

I'm sorry to say it.. but i think you are very wrong about this...

Happy New year

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 15:43

I agree with Osaka

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 15:46

You gotta' remember that time is changing.
When the boys started, it was more of a sponatious dream, of being a rockstar.
Now it's there way of living! They have to make music, that people want's to by, while still keeping their style and not go on compriomise with anything.

There is not as much personality on SY as on EG and ecspecially Soft Dogs, but I think that it's a great and very expressing album anyway! The feeling is very positive and open, and it's like they are finding themselves again, after all that has happened the past years.

Jacob Binzer stated (in the making of doc) that they had to switch producer, because at first, the music did'nt sound like them, they thought. But with the new produser, it sounded so right, that they could'nt believe it.

If that is not to care about the music, i don't know what it is??

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 16:04

I don't agree with Osaka or Cruz.

Osaka -> Cruz ain't 'wrong at it', he just stated his point of view (I'd like to share it, but I can't), but that just because he don't like Scare Yourself it doesn't have to be wrong.. That's just his point of view. Smiley
But we just don't agree with him Smiley

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 16:16

well said crappe ;-), but i still think Cruz are very wrong in saying that D-A-D dosent care about the music!

Beerdog's picture
Beerdog (not verified)

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 16:47

Hi Cruz

I don´t agree with you in that they have sold out completely.

I don´t think anyone can say that they´ve made Scare Yourself because they needed money after the Wigwam disaster, cause how can anyone predict if a album will sell well or not?

I must admit though that myself beeing a fan since 89, wished fore a harder album than Soft Dogs, but on the other hand I also like Soft Dogs much and I appreciate that the boys in my opinion have made so different albums/tracks their entire career.

But I don´t know if all fans wanted a harder album and a new style yet again, but I think many fans appreciate that the band make so different albums/tracks.

I fore one really think that they´ve let their anger out on Scare Yourself - when I hear it (happens more often than with the other D-A-D albums) I hear it as if they let their anger out.

Btw. I saw a hell lot of momentum at the four gigs I attended this year. and that´s what I love about D-A-D and especially the new album!

Don´t take your garbage anywhere but out, before the pup in your heart becomes a dog in your mind.

Happy trails and happy New Year anyway Cruz:)

Helpyourselfish!!

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 16:50

Well, don´t know what happend above, but when I wanted to post my answer I should fill out my name and email though I had locked in minutes before...:(

But the thing above is written by Ølhunden.

Now, I´ll go in the kitchen!

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 16:51

Helpyourselfish by the way:)

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 16:54

Remind yourself that even bad opinions are good opinions, people have there right to express themselfs, however : the fuck you is not needed and uncalled for.

Dennis Demennis

Beerdog's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 18:24

I thinks ta SD is very good record on it's own right. Sure, a bit mellow an calm but we are, after all talking about men going on 40. I'd rather see my favorite bands and artists to try out something new. It would be pathetic should music sound the same for 20 years. I can easily relate to SD as being experienced same kind of things in my life. It just happen when you are ageing. You get more shades of grey in your life, you see.

D-A-D has its genuine sound, was the song hard and heavy or a bit mellow one.

And now wishing you all Happy New Year!

Posted: Sat, 2005-12-31 18:34

Joehan -> You're right, handsome. Smiley

Beerdog's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Posted: Sun, 2006-01-01 21:53

C'mon wouldn't it be borring if they kept making a record like "Everything Glows" everytime the put out a new record? I think it would be. I think that it's okay to try something new like "Soft Dogs" And I don't think that they made "Scare" hard just to make it sell more. ( And like Ølhunden said "you can't predict that an album will sell more"). They made "Scare" more rocky, cause that might be how they felt it should be... And I think that "Scare" is very very very good Smiley-wink

Beerdog's picture
fourwheelerpunk (not verified)

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-02 05:50

SHUT UP LOSER!

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-02 06:50

You kiss your mother with that mouth, fourwheelerpunk?
Let the man have an opinion Smiley

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-02 11:04

I think it is great when people tells us their opinion.. Not many in here has any critic of the guys work.. I know we are all fans, but that does not mean, that all like everything they write/sing..

When the critic comes to S.Y. I think that is one of the top three albums from DAD ever made. But I don't knw if it stays in top three. lets see in a few years.. It takes time to become a classic.. Smiley-midget

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-02 11:28

Toksvig - i agree!

Cruz's picture

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-02 17:11

Dennis: Agreed. That line was...well, out of line Smiley-wink

It's great to see so much cool response, and all, except one, has been very fair.

I owe you to mention, that I naturally don't have any arguments for my statements about SY, except for the feeling I get when listening to the record. Of course you need to listen to all music more than once, in order to judge it. But I've really listen a lot to SY, since I got it nine days ago and my opinion stays the same. Track 1-3 is great, the rest is insignificant and boring (except for the verse part of Dirty Fairytale), again: IMO.

Best regards.

Beerdog's picture
fourwheelerpunk (not verified)

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-02 18:53

SORRY. It was the beer talking.

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-02 19:01

fourwheelerguy -> you drink your beer with that mouth?! Smiley-wink

Suffice it to say that I disagree strongly about Scare Yourself. I love the album to death and I haven't gotten tired of it yet, but one can't really argue taste I suppose.

I'm sorry, though, that you've disowned D-A-D, but I'm glad that you did like them once. Take care.

Posted: Tue, 2006-01-03 10:35

I liked the christmasgift a lot!
- If I dare put my appinion out there..

Posted: Tue, 2006-01-03 11:15

Pocaholmes -> It isn't the Net Pet gift we are talking about Smiley

Posted: Tue, 2006-01-03 12:53

but i actually agree a little with cruz, about the 'fanpleasing'.. it has come across my mind before..

Posted: Tue, 2006-01-03 18:28

arrrrrrg can't keep it to myself anymore Jesper, Stig, Laust, Jacob (and Peter)

thanx for never dissapointing me on vinyl or cd!

thanx for Scare yourself

Thanx for all those concerts since 1987 !!!!

Thanx for all the x-mas gifts over the years.

Thanx for youre view on onther people(non judgemental)

Thanx for playing allover VESTJYLLAND in 2006!!

ahhhh must better now

Posted: Tue, 2006-01-03 19:32

just my words !!! Smiley-wink

Posted: Tue, 2006-01-03 19:53

I really don't care about your oppinion, although I can't understand why you just "gives up" on your "favourite Band".
As Lådde said, Times change.
everything Changes!!
It's riddiculos to say that you will never by anything of D-A-D's music anymore forward. Because there might be some of the D-A-D stile that you like again. No one Knows!!
And I think it's stupid that you starts hating D-A-D and their music just because of two records!

-Morten!

Btw: I think Soft Dogs And scare yourself are awesome cd's!!! And so are all of the other records they've made.

Posted: Wed, 2006-01-04 18:15

Hammer- I agree with you

Posted: Wed, 2006-01-04 20:09

nice to know

Posted: Wed, 2006-01-04 20:19

hammer - just my words too!

but i don't think that D-A-D are perfect. Why should they be. they might be judgemental at times. they might like to act cool and 'celeb-like' at times. they are only human, and can make mistakes like everyone else.

just to add a little to my oppenion.. Smiley

Beerdog's picture
Cruz - from work (not verified)

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-23 14:03

I think I made my point pretty clear in the first message, and I see no reason why my statement should be regarded as pointless as b-g-m (or something) does. I came up with some points and even a theory, which stands out a little stronger than your: "I don't care about your oppinion, and everything D-A-D has ever done is great". And no, I won't buy anymore D-A-D stuff, not because of the music, but because of the sad change of attitude, that I believe has taken place.

Best regards.

Posted: Mon, 2006-01-23 16:39

Your loss dude...

Beerdog's picture
jordi+ (not verified)

Posted: Wed, 2006-01-25 04:41

well,i got my scare album just 3 days,but i see the hey now video and i like too.simply another classic d-a-d song.soft dogs sounds great,i don't understand.Sorry,Cruz you never was a fan.you not understand the d-a-d,I'm not too ,but no necesary,just feelin.and you boys thats the truth,you make me fell again.

Posted: Wed, 2006-02-01 16:35

Scare Yourself is an awsome album.

Posted: Fri, 2006-02-03 23:12

I really like all their albums and enjoy that they can not be contained to one musical gendre.

Cruz, just because it's music that you don't particularly like... why do you think they "sold out"?

If you watched the video that was on the DVD, you'd understand that other people did not think it was DAD worthy or good enough, but the band itself liked it. Afterall, they write the music and lyrics themselves. So, why is it selling out?

I respect that you have an opinion, we all do since we are born with free will and all... but
the FU to the band is not an opinion... its just plain rude.

Posted: Sun, 2006-02-05 05:48

I agree with jayne, that Fu was really rude. Scare yourself is an awesome album, but hey if you claim you are not gonna buy anymore of their albums and all of that stuff, hey no big loss!!! Loser!

Rod

Posted: Mon, 2006-02-06 05:19

Just curious.